Words to Live By...

"THE GOOD LIFE IS INSPIRED BY LOVE & GUIDED BY KNOWLEDGE"-Bertrand Russell

December 4, 2008

A Hollywood Glam Weekend at Palm Spring's Riviera Resort!

 Entrance of the Newly Restored Palm Springs Riviera Resort
Your Las Vegas Wedding Concierge is on the road today on my way to sunny Palm Springs, California for a little mid-December getaway before the holiday madness hits!

My office is closed Thursday and Friday and I will be back in Las Vegas on Monday.

You all know I LOVE Las Vegas and I often take little vacations right here in the city (why not take advantage of having such an incredible "backyard"?). But, every now and then, a little R&R away from the bright lights is good for the soul. 

Palm Springs is one of my favorite places to do that. It's close enough to drive (3-5 hours depending on the route and your gas peddle pressure), similar desert climate and a cool, relaxed vibe. For those reasons, and a few more, it has long been a getaway for the Hollywood celebrities and rich and famous as well. 

One of the most popular and legendary of the Palm Springs resorts is the Riviera Resort. Opened in the late 50's, it was cool and swanky and when the members of the "Rat Pack" and "The King" himself weren't playing in Las Vegas or Hollywood, this was one of their favorite playgrounds to preform and play. 

After being closed for a $70 million major makeover, the legendary resort reopened in October, 2008. It has been restored to it's' former glory but with a 21st century major upgrade that pays tribute to it's historical architecture and the sexy sophisticated design of it's 60's "heydays". From the images...I could live here permanently!

Just as in those glory days, Hollywood, Vegas and Palm Springs still share that unique "style". In Las Vegas you can see it in hotels like "Red Rock Resort" for example.

My friend and fellow NACE member Lisa Lynn Backus, CMP, CPCE left Las Vegas to become "Director of Events" at the resort. We all miss her here in Vegas and I am looking forward to seeing her again. Turns out I am going to miss out by one day being there for a mixer she is hosting for the Greater Palm Springs Wedding Association. Bummer! 

The hotel's website has some great information about the history of the resort and all the celebrities that performed and played there and a cool "Then & Now" feature showing spaces from the original incarnation and it's fancy new wrapping.

I'm bringing my camera so stay tuned! And by the way, Palm Springs is certainly one of those locations I will and am available to plan a destination wedding outside of  Vegas. 

Have a great and stylish weekend!

1 comment:

Juliet Douglas said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! I love the photos that I'm seeing on the website! Have fun!!