Words to Live By...

"THE GOOD LIFE IS INSPIRED BY LOVE & GUIDED BY KNOWLEDGE"-Bertrand Russell

November 27, 2008

Some Wedding "Tradition" on this Traditional Day


I am enjoying a nice, quiet Thanksgiving Day (not cooking this year). I was pleasantly surprised to turn on the TV and see that Fiddler on the Roof is on. I came in just before the wedding scene and "Sunrise Sunset" (seen above in video). How appropriate!

I was about 8 years old when my parents took my brother and I to see the movie (after wearing out the original Broadway recording on LP), and it has been part of my top-10 movies list ever since.

The songs and story and many of the scenes continue to be the most indelible and endearing for me and have gained more significant meaning over the years in my own life-From growing up in a big extended Jewish family filled with "Tradition" in a small town to marrying my husband (who is not Jewish) and moving 3000 miles "Far from the Home I Love" and becoming a Wedding Planner in Las Vegas who would eventually plan a wedding featuring the famous "Bottle Dance" that hearkened to one of my favorite cinematic wedding scenes ever.

The movie about Tevye, a very poor Jewish milkman, and his 5 daughters in late 19th century Russia is about as close as I can get to imagining the life that my Jewish grandparents and great-grandparents lived in Lithuania and Poland.

This is a cinematic glimpse into the world where my family, my traditions, culture and values come from. 

It is one of the most award winning, long-running and beloved musicals on broadway and film of all time and the "traditions" have been translated to every part of the world in countless languages. 

Thank you for allowing me to share some of my traditions on this day of "Tradition". 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

L'Chaim -hugs and kisses

mark